Tuesday, December 3, 2013

Doctor Sleep

 
 OH MY GOD the mid-season finale of The Walking Dead was devastating.  I need therapy.  Kudos all around: the show just gets better and better...

But I am not here to talk about The Walking Dead.  I am here to talk about Doctor Sleep, the much anticipated sequel to The Shining written by everyone's  favorite Uncle, Stephen King.  Lets start with how great the book cover is!  It took me a while to even notice the woman's face.  Now lets move on to how dumb the title is!  Doctor Sleep, really Uncle Steve?  It sounds like a Motley Crue song. 



So, I love Stephen King.  How could you not?  He is brilliant, accessible, and when he wants to be, scary as hell.  Doctor Sleep ventures into the "scary as hell" territory.  Not as much as say, It, but it is there.  I remember when I first read The Stand, (always and forever one of my favorite books)  I would actually avoid it.  I would put if off reading the next chapter.  This was for two reasons-  One: the book was so good I didn't want it to end.  Two: I couldn't handle what might be next.  It's like watching The Walking Dead: fucking incredible but painful as hell.

I had snippets of those feelings while reading Doctor Sleep.  King revisits The Shining many times in this novel.  Its like catching up with an old friend.  We join Danny as an adult: alcoholic, close to rock bottom, still tormented by the ghosts of his past.  It takes a little girl, Abra, with similar powers, to give Danny a purpose.


The big bad is named "Rose the Hat."  Yes, another stupid name, but she is one scary bitch.  Her and her tribe live off the "steam" of those who have the Shining.  How they never found Danny I will never know, but they have found Abra, and it is up to Danny to save her.

I recommend Doctor Sleep to those who have a deep affection for The Shining.  If you haven't read The Shining- don't bother with this.  It won't make much sense.  Watching the movie doesn't count.  It really won't make sense then.  Or do whatever the hell you want.  I don't give a fuck.




1 comment:

: said...

Cool review. Isn't DOCTOR SLEEP great? I'm currently reading it for the 2nd time . . . it's the best thing Stephen King has written in 20 years, IMO.


J.N.
http://www.james-newman.com