Sunday, February 17, 2013

Warm Bodies

 
When I heard the words "paranormal zombie comedy romantic film" I threw up a little bit in I mouth and then remembered that I don't HAVE to see every zombie film released.  Then I started hearing from various folks that Warm Bodies was actually kind of good so I figured I would give it a shot. 


It is good, in a cute sort of way.  It's the first film I have ever characterized as "cute" that includes so much gore.  It's a nice combo.  I am glad to say "I liked this cute gore film."

So total cute hot guy Nicholas Hoult (from Skins) plays "R", an emo zombie who lives on a airplane and collects stuff.  He hates that he is a zombie but there is not much he can do about it.  He needs to eat delicious, delicious brains and who can blame him?  His best friend is another zombie played by Rob Corddry.  They grunt at each other.

On day R and his zombie friends are doing what they do, munching on brains, when R sees the beautiful Julie (Teresa Palmer, looking so much like Kristen Stewart I wanted to punch her), a human member of the zombie resistance.  R decides to take Julie as his pet.


All of a sudden he starts to get the warm and fuzzies, highly unusual for a zombie.  As R starts to change, so do his zombie friends.  It's only the "Boneys" that don't like the change.  Boneys are zombies that have totally given up.  They rip off their own skin.  I don't know why they do this but it looks hella cool onscreen.


This film had some stuff I really liked in it, like R's stream of consciousness narration and the Boneys.  Its a very optimistic film made by people with a healthy appreciation of the zombie genre.  Plus, "R" is so cute I am about to put a poster of him up on my wall..

No comments: