Friday, September 23, 2011

Scary works of art by a 4 year old and the horror films they remind me of...

I was fortunate enough to receive some fantastic artwork by the 4 year old daughter of a friend of mine. Her name is Zelma and she is growing up on a farm with chickens and cats and bees. I sent her a t-shirt when she was a baby that says "I Love Zombies." She still wears it to this day. She also talks a lot about ghosts and monsters. I can't help but feel I am having a positive influence on her from 3000 miles away.

Below is some of Zelma's artwork and my take on the horror film it most reminds me of.  Please feel free to chip in with that horror films they remind you of.  (I don't think Zelma has really seen any horror films yet, but wait till she comes to spend the summer with Auntie Jen.)




This is one scary pink haired girl.  This reminds me of Coraline, but I also detect a bit of The Ring and Ju-on here.   She also looks kind of pissed off, so I will also go with Carrie.


 Donnie Darko is the obvious choice here, but may I also suggest The Shining?  You know the scene I am talking about.  This could also be a very dark take on Harvey.  I also see The Blob.


This painting actually has a title.  It is "The Prince in the Castle."  I see A Nightmare on Elm Street.  I also see any horror film where a psycho escapes from an insane asylum (take your pick.)  This also has a bit of a Children of the Corn flavor to it which would make sense since Zelma is growing up on a farm. 

More artwork coming soon, including a piece that reminds me of a Clive Barker short story and Zelma's take on The Human Centipede, with a cow.

Thanks to Zelma's parents for sending me the art!

4 comments:

Zelmarific said...

The second one reminds me more of a Lovecraft story, though I can't put my finger on which one.

Zelmarific said...

I guess I do know which Lovecraft story- the one with the unholy well. The well where something unnatural lived? That's the well, over by the right side of the second drawing. On the left is the regular person, and you can see a sort of unholy outline of some sort of ghost/evil spirit in the middle, and then on the right is the well itself.

Of course we read never Lovecraft to her every night. It must be some sort of Jungian collective consciousness thing going on.

SheReads said...

YAY for Zelma! Really good stuff, I especially love the first one and thought of Samara! I can't wait to see more of her work!

Anonymous said...

Aww. This is so cute! The second picture actually reminds me of The Wicker Man for some reason. The parts where everyone is dressed up in their animal costumes.