Sunday, April 17, 2011

Donkey Punch


It is a pretty sad state of affairs when I can honestly say I liked Donkey Punch better than Scream 4.  But it is true.  Donkey Punch is a little seen gem from 2008 that is now on Netflix streaming.  The film got a little press here when it was released, partly due to the meaning of the title.  Since I want to keep this a family friendly blog I suggest you google it right now.  Go ahead, I will wait.

Alright, so a "Donkey Punch" is a sex act that involves hitting your partner in the back of the head whilst penetrating him or her from behind.  That might be the best sentence I have ever written.  And there goes my PG-13 rating.  The idea is that the impact will cause certain muscles to tighten therefore increasing one of the partners sexual pleasure.  Dan Savage says this does not really work and I am inclined to believe him.  In any case, this act gone horribly wrong sets the stage for this gory British thriller.


Three British girls are on holiday in Spain.  They meet up with four Sailors who invite them to party on their yacht.  One of the girls, Tammi, seen above, is a good girl and the obvious final girl candidate.   The boys are a little sketchy but they have good drugs and yacht.  While at sea, and after many, many drugs, Lisa and Kim, the two other girls, go into one of the cabins on the yacht to have sex with two or three of the Sailor boys.  One thing leads to another and Lisa gets her neck broken.  The boys freak out, and decide to make it look like Lisa fell overboard.  Tammi and Kim don't quite agree with this plan, and soon it is boys against girls.  One big problem: the whole sordid affair is on tape.  Of course the Sailors were taping the whole thing.  Kim and Tammi know this, and they know that getting their hands on the tape will prove what really happened.

What follows is a bloody free for all, all taking place on the yacht.  The kills are quite inventive (a flair gun to the stomach is my favorite) and shocking.  I wouldn't call the film scary, but it did keep me on the edge of my seat.  Until the end I did not know who would come out on top.  My only problem is that the motivation for all of this carnage is a little weak.  Yes, Lisa was killed during a sex act, but it was quite accidental (if not stupid.)  Had they just returned to the harbor and contacted the authorities, it would have meant some prison time and lost jobs.  But, when you consider that they were all high on cocaine and whatnot, I guess the overreaction and paranoia is understandable.

I wasn't expecting much from this film, and I am happy to say that I thought it was well made, exciting, gory, and fun (I always feel weird saying that about horror films).  I say watch this instead of wasting your money on Scream 4.  Based on box office returns it will be out on DVD soon enough.

1 comment:

Shoshanah Marohn said...

Dan Savage used to work at a local video store before he was a famous, um, writer. He was very visually judgmental about people's video selections. Expressive eyebrows.