Friday, January 7, 2011

New Obsession: Clark Ashton Smith

I swear this is not becoming a literary blog- but I have been reading a whole lot lately.  I am afraid of the netflix movies I have at home.  Anyway, I am having my yearly read of At the Mountains of Madness and I got sidetracked by a Clark Ashton Smith reference.  Which led me to this really cool site: http://www.eldritchdark.com/.  And I killed a few hours there.  Smith was an artist, poet, and friend of Lovecraft, although the two never met. 


Here is a nice piece of his art and a poem entitled Afterwards:

There is a silence in the world
Since we have said farewell;
And beauty with an alien speech
An alien tale would tell.


There is a silence in the world,
Which is not peace nor quiet:
Ever I seek to flee therefrom,
And walk the ways of riot.


But when I hear the music moan
In rooms of thronging laughter,
A tongueless demon drives me forth,
And silence follows after.

And now I know what my nightmares are going to be about tonight.

1 comment:

Will Errickson said...

One of the reasons I love the internets is that otherwise forgotten writers like CAS get mad love there!