Saturday, August 7, 2010

Never Sleep Again: The Elm Street Legacy


If you have an afternoon to kill, and I mean a whole afternoon because this thing felt like it was 7 hours long, you could do worse than watching Never Sleep Again: The Elm Street Legacy.  This 4 (!) hour long documentary was put together by the same guys that did His Name was Jason, the Friday the 13th documentary that actually had me re-watching all the original films.  Never Sleep Again will have you busting out your old VHS tapes as well.  The filmmakers painstakingly revisit every film in the Elm Street series, including Freddy vs. Jason.  They wisely ignore the craptastic recent remake.

Narrated and produced by the original Nancy, Heather Langenkamp, Never Sleep Again was a trip down memory lane, not only for those involved in making the films, but for myself as well.  Freddy films were a staple at the slumber parties of my youth, with The Dream Warriors being a particular favorite.  I was too young to realize that A Nightmare on Elm Street Part II: Freddy's Revenge was as gay as a Liza Minnelli concert.  The screenwriter of this particular gem did, and although the rest of the participants claim to have had no idea about the subtext, it is glaringly obvious when you watch it!  This was perhaps my favorite revelation of the documentary. 

Thanks to this documentary I have an excuse to buy this collection!  Now I need to go back to bed.  I am still jet-lagged from my trip to New York, but soon I will be posting pics from the Jekyll and Hyde Club in NYC.  It's like Chuck E. Cheese for horror fanatics.

No comments: